Olive Oil Potato Gratin
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1/2 cup Glasses & Grapes Roasted Garlic or House Blend EVOO
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
2 onions, halved and sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Combine Pecorino, 3 tablespoons EVOO, panko, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in bowl; set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 15 minutes.
4. Add garlic and 1/2 teaspoon thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
5. Add 1/4 cup broth and cook until nearly evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
6. Toss potatoes, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme together in bowl. Arrange half of the potatoes in prepared dish, spread onion mixture in even layer over potatoes, and distribute remaining potatoes over onions.
7. Pour remaining 3/4 cup broth over potatoes. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
8. Remove foil, top gratin with reserved Pecorino mixture, and continue to bake until top is golden brown and potatoes are completely tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Serve.