Cream of Roasted Pepper & Tomato Soup
Comfort doesn’t have to mean unhealthy food. Such is the case with this healthy yet insanely creamy red pepper tomato soup. Quick and easy to prepare, served with a good grilled cheese sandwich as a dipping companion this nutrient-rich comfort food will hit the spot!
2 28 oz cans tomatoes, pureed
1/2 cup white wine
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 large red peppers roasted, peeled, seeded & chopped
3 tbsp Glasses & Grapes Italian Herb EVOO
1 medium yellow onion diced
4 cloves garlic minced
1 bunch fresh basil leaves washed & torn
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup Romano cheese grated
1 cup heavy cream
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a medium heavy stock pot, heat one tablespoon of Tuscan Herb EVOO over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Add the white wine and reduce by half.
3. Add the chicken or vegetable stock, roasted peppers, tomato puree, basil leaves and oregano to the pot. Lower the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the pot from heat.
4. Using an immersion blender, puree the hot soup until smooth and creamy in consistency.
5. Add the heavy cream and Romano cheese and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve individual bowls of soup drizzled with Tuscan Herb Olive Oil, Traditional Dark Balsamic Vinegar or a dollop Kicked-up Sour Cream and a sprig of basil.